Monday, October 20, 2008

Japanese Aquarium

One of the first things we did in Japan was to go to this awesome aquarium. We saw a dolphin show from the "splash zone" (they gave us towels to dry off afterwards - I can't believe how nice the Okinawans were), sea turtles - both large and small (too bad they weren't in the dolphin show - sea turtles jumping out of the water spinning would be awesome!), touched a sea cucumber and blue starfish, and ate lunch basking in the view of a whale shark and giant manta rays. To be honest, the food wasn't that great, but the ambiance was to die for.









These are the sea turtles. Fun fact: you can tell a male sea turtle from a female by the size of their tail.

Here are some highlights of the dolphin show, it was pretty cool, and being so close we were able to look into the eyes of the dolphins... It kind of looked like it wanted to eat me if it could only get close enough. Moral of the story - never trust a "flippin" dolphin.







































Cool starfishes and a squishy sea-cucumber (we saw these everywhere when we went snorkeling)



This last Pic is Tiff and I doing our best hermit crab. Pretty good don't ya think? They had all of these marine animals made with flowers, which was interesting. Also, Randy and I had a lively debate about the species of marine mammal that looks like it wants eat me (the big one) I thought it was a big species of dolphin, Randy a small species of whale. Anybody know a marine biologist?

7 comments:

Emily said...

For the sea turtles: when you're looking at the male, that's not a tail.

Just kidding, I don't know what I'm talking about. Glad to have you guys back!

Tiffany said...

This is a family blog Em...let's try to keep it clean ;)

Christy Gunnell said...

I'm excited for more posts...sorry I missed your call. I was intramural soccer. I'll give ya a ring tomorrow cause frankly I'm exhausted. Have you recovered yet from the jet lag?

James said...

Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun! I hope to see more pictures and hear of the great stories.

Audrey Henderson said...

um guess what my favorite part of this post is, your matching plaid shorts

Audrey Henderson said...

also, i will be calling you back, currently i am fighting off the plague, if it is the last thing i do though, i will call my fanny pak back

Melanie said...

Today the sun is shining, the ocean is crystal blue, and the beaches go on for miles. Don't you wish you could leave boring Peoria and come visit us again? We sure do! I rode my bike out to a neighboring island this morning and the view was awesome. I just wish I would have taken you guys there when you came out. So you will have to come again!
-Randy