Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cooking Adventures

Since it is very cold here in Peoria, yesterday I decided to make some delicious chili that would warm Braden and I up. I put all the ingredients in the crock-pot with one little substitution and let it cook the required 4-6 hours. Braden came home and exclaimed how delicious dinner was smelling and wondered when it would be done. I had to finish up making the french bread (or attempting to make french bread) and then we sat down to eat.

Looks yummy, huh?
(I didn't think so, but Braden said it looks delicious, which is what really matters.)
Unfortunately this "Simple Chili" as the recipe book titles it doesn't taste as "simple" as the name implies. It actually TASTES LIKE BURNING!!!
Turns out ground red pepper is NOT a substitution for chili powder. Oops. Braden's new title for this recipe is "Texas Barbed Wire Chili". He's a good sport and ate his whole bowl. He said, "Once you get past the burning, it has really good flavor." Thanks Babe!
I, however, was less certain.

Also, although the french bread had good flavor, it didn't rise very well because our kitchen was too cold. I tried to make it again today and it turned out the same. Darn. Luckily my hubby puts up with my kitchen experiments and we can laugh about it together!

6 comments:

Colby said...

Hey! Did you get those pictures I sent? -Becca Gage

Jessica Madsen said...

I had to bust out laughing when I read this post! I did the exact same thing the first year Justin and I were married. I was all excited to make this homemade chili, and the recipe called for 15 shakes of red pepper flakes. Well the shaker I had has HUGE holes on top, and i put tons of red pepper in it without thinking twice about it. Justin came homw to his proud wife, and asked for a taste before dinner. He spit it out imediately, and was literally CHOCKING it was so hot. We tried to dilute it, we ttried everything, ultimately it ended up going down the sink so it would'nt kill us. needless to say, I don't own red pepper flakes anymore!:) Luckily yours was still edible. Braden is a good man for getting past the 'BURN!' too funny!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That chilly had to have some kick to it. To bad about the bread. You could turn your oven on really low and try to let it rise in there. Maybe the microwave would be warm enough if you ran it first to heat it up. You are quite a forayer into the world of cooking with substitute ingredients.

Chad and Carole said...

Chad would do the same thing. Eat it all and be grateful even when I wouldn't touch it. I hate it when things in the crockpot don't turn out...you've been waiting all day long for them.

Audrey Henderson said...

ha ha ha oh man good times. freaking cold ruining your freaking bread, how insensitive. i'll call you this weekend, love you lover

DeCaires Family said...

Ha ha! I did the exact same thing last time I made chilli. It was to hot for Brian even. This time around I made sure to use the right ingredients....they looked the same color and had the same brand!