Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Project Re-upholster

If we've learned anything in our close to year of marriage, it's that we can take on the world and make it yell "UNCLE!" Our most recent adventure included an old couch, roadkill, and holiday dreams come true. We were sick of our futon in the front room, so when our home-teacher told us he had an old couch in Nauvoo, we jumped at the chance. We headed out on a Friday after work, picked up the couch, ran over Rudolph (or maybe it was Blitzen?) on the way home, got the couch in the apartment, and this is what we had:

We looked at it for a minute and said to ourselves "self, I bet we can flip this couch!" And so we did. Here's a shot of during the re-upholstery:

Tiff showing off her domesticity:

And the finished product!

Notice the detail...
The Christmas tree was not a part of the re-upholstery, but just a side project. However, it kind of makes the couch "pop", don't ya think?

In other news - I can't help but say I'm surprised by the number of people that have asked me if I kept the deer I ran over (it just cracked the bumper a little), and I don't think they were joking. I guess it didn't get tore up too bad, but still I like to think I just gave the coyotes a Christmas feast. Besides, I didn't want to mess up the couch, and dressing it in the front room probably would have gotten us evicted. Merry Christmas!

14 comments:

Chase Gunnell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy Gunnell said...

Wow guys I am super impressed with the reupholstery!! It looks very professional! Well done!

Unknown said...

Wow! That couch looks awesome!!! You need to be on HGTV or something! Again, wow!

Chad and Carole said...

That is a very red couch but it looks really good. I'm amazed that you were able to take out the bed. We had a sleeper that was kind of scary when we were first married and Chad just said we could've done that with ours...and I informed him there was no way we would have been able to. I'm very impressed.

Ryan said...

Couch looks very nice. I'm impressed with Tiff's 'domesticity'. The $64,000 question is: Which one of you was driving when you hit the deer? My money is on Braden.

DeCaires Family said...

I am so impressed! I don't think I could have ever pulled that off, the poor couch would have been out on the curb come trash day at my house.

The Schroeder Family said...

Amazing. Very impressive! I have a loveseat and chair that could use reupholstering.....do you work for cookies?

James said...

Y'all did a great job on the couch! That is amazing. Do you want to redo our couches when you come out for Christmas?

Kara said...

Wow impressive!! Look at you guys and your "flipping." I'm impressed, maybe your wife can show me a thing or too about sewing...I have a sewing machine that I've used maybe two times! YIKES! Love the red though it look awesome!

Jessica Madsen said...

Holy cow guys! Way to go! The couch looks soo great. Sorry about the run in with the dear-that sounds pretty scary. Merry Christmas to you too!

Audrey Henderson said...

once again you are my hero

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie Wood said...

I can only echo the "Wows" of others. It looks professional. And, it is so cute. Great taste!

Jen, Jenny, Jennifer said...

You all are amazing! Are you all experienced upholsterers? Are there directions online or did you just wing it? It looks great.